Published on November 9th, 2014 | by neil


Be Insurance Savvy: The Different Types of House Insurance

When it comes to insuring your home, being in the know is vital. After all, your home is your most treasured possession. You need to know that your home is protected against all eventualities. Even if you are renting a property, it is wise to take out a robust policy.

Many people are aware of the importance of home insurance. But, very few people are aware of their insurance options.So, if you want to become home insurance savvy, you are in the right place.

Here are some of the different types of home insurance. Let’s find out which one can benefit you:

1.    Contents

Contents insurance is as the name suggests. You are covered for your possessions within the property, but not for any of the structural framework. So, if you have a volume of high-value goods in your property, it may be sensible to take out this kind insurance. Contents insurance providers may even cover you for items outside of the home, such as mobile phones and jewellery. Of course, it’s always best to check with your plan provider what they cover.  Be careful though, many people underestimate the value of their assets. Do be sure to take out a policy that covers you for everything.

2.    Building

Buildings insurance covers only the building. So, if you have a leaky roof in your 4 bedroom terraced house in Topsham, you don’t have to worry about mounting prices, contact the experts at Jacksonville roofing today. The insurance policy will cover this. What is more, this kind of cover will protect you against fire, flood and accidental damage. If you are a homeowner, your mortgage provider will insist that you have this kind of policy in place.

3.    Contents and Building

Contents and building covers both personal belongings and the structural framework of a property. This is the most robust policy you can take out. This may be more expensive, but you can have total peace of mind when it comes to your home.


Image: Alan Cleaver

4.    Tenants Insurance

Tenants insurance is less common, but is great for those that are renting properties. With tenant’s insurance policies, you are not covered for structural issues. But, it can be a great plan to have. This ensures that your belongings are covered in the event of an accident. But, it can also ensure that you are protected against accidental damage. So, if you have accidentally damaged the carpet, this kind of policy will pay out. This means that your bond is protected too.

5.    Students Insurance

As any student will attest, a student home will be jam packed with all manner of expensive goods. Laptops, phones and televisions are all part and parcel of the student house. While funds may be stretched at university, taking out a policy is imperative. You need to make sure that you have a robust student contents insurance cover to protect your assets. Do bear in mind that student policies only protect one person, not the entire house. So, you need to make sure that you are all protected in your shared accommodation.

About the Author

Comments are closed.

Back to Top ↑